I'm in my third of five years at the University of Wisconsin; I'll leave with degrees in economics, math, and physics, and a master's in applied math. (Then it's off to trade options and work on startups.) I'm a libertarian, but every once in a while I'll flap about the perceived common good. I serve as editor of WISCI, and engage in biology and math research from time to time.

"The government solution to a problem is usually as bad as the problem." - Milton Friedman

A senior, also at the University of Wisconsin. I study economics and dabble in business and being happy. I have libertarian and left-of-center tendencies, and I usually include a lot of feeling. I am interested in international development and post as Mix Master.

4.13.2006

The conversation continues

Branko Milanovic has another idea:

This change would take care of the major cause of aid leakage: governments, and other agencies, intermediation which often result in useless projects. If a global aid agency can deal directly with poor people and give them aid in cash, there would be no leakage at all, except for possible mistargeting, i.e. giving cash to the people who are not poor. (Cato)

This sounds a lot like microfinance to me. My question is why set up yet another beaurocracy in the form of a global agency? Why not enable small donating organizations (with local knowledge) to spearhead this? They need less overhead and administrative costs, not more, and small, dynamic groups of people minimize those. International and world organizations should be working with governments to minimize the friction for loan agencies to reach their people and for companies to enter their markets. If governments can't handle that responsibility, then perhaps they should be ignored.

Comments on "The conversation continues"

 

post a comment

Powered by Blogger Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Some Rights Reserved